Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, March 7, 2019

Cartoon Wednesday

Yea, I know its Thursday, yesterday got very busy.
Copyright Bill Mauldin

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Acquisitions - Painting War #7 and #8 by Breaking War

These are army painting guides produced by Breaking War out of Spain. I just acquired the #7 for the Dark Ages and #8 for the American Civil War. I find them quite useful as they go through the painting process in general that the writer/painter uses and then there is a whole section of miniatures for that army painted with the various techniques and representing different types of soldiers and officers.

One of the features that I really like is that it shows insignia for all the ranks at least for those armies that use them. For instance no such insignia exist in the Dark Age book (#7) but that writer/painter spends a good amount of text and pictures working on banners which are more appropriate to the period. 

I currently have #1 for WWII Germans, #3 for WII USA and Japan (although I would have preferred these to have been split up, the Marines and Army tend to be lumped together a bit) and just acquired #7 for the Dark Ages and #8 for the ACW. So far all the painters are Spanish (which makes sense since Breaking War is a Spanish company), bit pretty well known names in the industry: Angel Aparicio (ACW), Alberto Mateos (Dark Ages), Claudia Zuminich (Japan & USA) and Ruben Torregrosa (Germany). I'm always able to glean a few new tidbits to add to my painting toolbox. They can be ordered direct from breakingwar.com or from Michigan Toy Soldier here in the US.

Interesting mix here on the cover, Custer in ACW uniform but set in the American West.

Friday, March 1, 2019

Acquisitions - Karlheinz Munch - Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 654

I picked up the Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653 years ago (1997) when it was first published. Now I have finally acquired the companion volume "The Combat History of Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 654", by Karlheinz Much. If you have any interest in the Ferdinand and Jagdpanther and the unit that operated both of them, this is the book for you. Full of pictures, organizations and first hand accounts both these books are well worth the price!

It was a long time coming, this book was published in 2002! And although its new the cover has blunted corners. Almost inevitable with a book this big and heavy.
Abteilung 653 was first equipped with Ferdinands and then Jagdtigers. 

I did acquire first book back in 1997 with the intent of building it up in 15mm for Command Decision at the time and there are a few posts on the Miniature Ordnance Review blog that might have me heading back down that alley. Under the new Flames of War rules Mike has managed to recreate these heavy anti-tank battalions equipped with the Ferdinand. Here are links to the relevant posts:

Modeling the Schwere Heavy Panzerjager Rgt
Battlefronts new Ferdinand
Battlefront Updates the Ferdinand Instructions
Ferdinands at Kursk
Fielding the Schwere Rgt in Flames of War
Mike's Article on the FOW Website.
Download page for the FOW Organizational PDF

Thursday, February 28, 2019

New Kickstarter - Brigade Games - AWI

Here is, yet another, Kickstarter that has peaked my interest. While my own AWI project has been on hold for a while this is the kind of thing that could bring it back to the front of the list of things to work on. My last experience with a Brigade Games Kickstarter was for their WWII miniatures for their WWII miniature rules; Disposable Heroes (second edition I think, the original was published by Iron Ivan Games and I have almost all the supplements for it). They produced the Americans in the M41 uniform so post Normandy and late war Germans and I bought in at a platoon of each for the WWII project. They were good gaming miniatures but not great (in my opinion) but worth the price and the variety is very good with lots of extra weapon choices. There was a delay in shipping, which is certainly not unusual with projects that require hundreds of figures to be cast.packaged and shipped so I was not surprised with that and expected as much.

You can see the Americans from that Kickstarter here:
Brigade Games WWII Americans

The AWI kickstarter is in currently in process and has been funded. I believe that this is a different sculptor than the one who sculpted the WWII miniatures and I have to say I like the looks of these quite a bit. They are very similar in style to those from Fife and Drum although maybe not as "clean" you can see some of the Fife and Drum miniatures I have here:
Fife and Drum AWI Samples
and some painted versions here:
Fife and Drum AWI Painted Continentals

These look like they would fit in well with the Fife and Drum and the Perry Miniature plastics that I already have. If I jump in on this one it would probably be mostly for the British. I do wish they were going to do some cavalry with this kickstarter but I don't see any in the stretch goals.

I do need to mull it over but I think these are very good looking miniatures and would be worth jumping in on it. Here is the direct link to the kickstarter

Brigade Games American War of Independence

A look at some of the sculpts, note these are actual greens not digital renderings. The only thing I would like to see different is to have one of each of the command sets as core packs rather than stretch goals. And again some cavalry would have been nice to see.