Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, May 6, 2019

World War II Project - Perry GIs vs Warlord GIs (old box)

I was pretty enthused at the release of a plastic box of US Infantry from Perry Miniatures. So I ordered two boxes. Each box has enough infantry for a full platoon including some additional support weapons like bazooka and 30 cal MGs. In fact there are enough weapons to actually build three full squads plus the platoon command section. 

I decided to compare them against the Warlord US Infantry box, now the box I have is the old box (I have one regular infantry and one of Rangers). I know there are some significant changes from the old to the new box. If I have an opportunity to pick one up I'll make another comparison. I do know that the new box is similar to the Perry's with weapons already attached to arms which is a very good thing, definitely less fiddly.

The Perry weapon sprue is much superior than the Warlord one. I can equip a squad as it should be equipped and there are enough extra BARs to add a second one if needed. The Warlord sprue has an odd mix of Springfields and Garands to the point where you can't do anything remotely accurately. Hopefully that has been addressed in the new box. Only early war US Marines should be equipped with that many Springfield rifles.

The detail on the Perry plastics is much crisper than the Warlord plastics although the faces definitely lack the character of the Warlord heads. The Perry Miniatures are 1/56th scale, the Warlord are 28mm and tend to be a bit chunkier. I think after painting them up and getting them on the table you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them.

On to the pictures!


Warlord Instructions


The minimum pieces to put a Warlord miniature together. Although I missed the entrenching tool.





Perry Instructions


Minimum pieces for a Perry Plastic, note in this case the entrenching tool is included on the pack.





And side by side




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comparison!

    The main differences between the Perry and Warlord seem to be the huge head of the Warlord figure, and the very smooth cloth of the jacket on the Warlord figure.

    Do you get enough extra heads in the Perry box to reequip the Warlord figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check. I'm not sure the smaller head with help but you never know until you try.

      Delete
  2. Perry's US GIs are miles ahead of both the old AND the new Warlord plastics kits. Perry's includes MMG support weapons, which neither Warlord kit does. Perry's models are far more realistic looking and less cartoonish, and far easier to assemble than the old Warlord kit. But to me, most damning of all, is the New Warlord kit only has enough M1 Garands to equip HALF of the models with them, when realistically it should be the overwhelming majority of GIs carrying the M1 rifle. That's just such a glaring issue I don't see how anyone can overlook it, or how they signed off on the new Warlord kit with so few actual rifles for the riflemen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty much in complete agreement with you on all your points. The weapon mix is just outright strange. Maybe you would see that mix in the Marine Corps since they transitioned during the war (or outright stealing the Army's Garands). But not in an army unit. There might be a single Springfield for the squad sharpshooter but I think that even became increasingly rarer as the war progressed.

      Right now the only issue I have with the Perry's is that some of the arm combinations will just not work with some of the bodies. I'm struggling with my first squad and I have two sets of arms ready to go that have yet to match up even okay with one of the bodies. I'll have to create a charge on which arm combinations will fit with each body.

      Delete