Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, May 18, 2020

World War II Project - Return to Normandy - Terrace House Prep Work

In order to fill in those odd spaces of time that aren't quite long enough to paint in I have been slowly working my way through one of the Sally 4th Normandy buildings that I picked up quite a while ago. Like the Charlie Foxtrot building I'm going to use a paper product for the exterior of the building to see if I can speed things up a bit. I'm going to avoid adding corners to hide seams this time, that was just to much effort on the Charlie Foxtrot building. This time I'm using some "bumpy" paper with a natural stone pattern on it. I discovered this stuff from a Stalingrad build in the Lead Adventure Forum and thought I would give it a try.

As always, I get deep into the weeds pretty fast. I start missing around with the chimneys as a proof of concept. 



Pretty simple, build the fireplace and fold the paper around it.


Trimmed up with the hearth opening cut out and folded back along the interior edges. You can pick out the chimney in the background,




I would have called this a final shot except I forgot two of the mantle pieces.


This picture is a lot closer to the actual color of the paper I used. You can see the "bumpy" surface and how it helps the stonework pattern look a bit more "real"

There are a few ugly edges in there but the paper folded quite nicely with a little score on the back. Trimmed them up and glued on the mantles (which still need to be painted).


Since these came out pretty well I went ahead and worked the exterior walls with the same paper and added a wooden floor pattern to the first and second floors. Then I primed and painted the interior side of the building. I'm sure I missed something but hopefully this was most of it.



A little dry fitting to make sure it will really all still fit together.



Ready for priming, mostly large sections that would be on the interior of the building.

Started with the Ebony Brown Stynylrez primer from Badger

Followed that with a coat of  "Neutral" Stynylrez primer. I considered highlighting this but decided that this was "good enough".
The "bumpy" paper was applied before I primed the walls. I used wood glue for this and weighed it down with my steel machinist blocks.

Same walls with the doors and windows cut out. I did one small slice from the back to locate each window and then did the rest of the cutting from the front. This helped to avoid tearing the paper. 




4 comments:

  1. Great job! Can you save me the LAF search by telling me who makes the bumpy paper? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You find it on eBay, the sellers name is Starboc1 and he is out of Thessaloniki, Greece. I have ordered two or three times from him but its been a while. Looks like he is offering an even better deal that he did when I was actively buying. This project is going well enough that I'll be running through my stock pretty quick. As I recall he ships pretty darn fast. I prefer his O scale stock, the HO stock just seems to be much to small for our purposes.

      Delete
  2. Thanks. I couldn't remember his name. He's on Etsy, too, but ebay is better for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea he was on Etsy as well. I wonder if he offers anything different there.

      Delete