Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, July 23, 2020

World War II Project - Return to Normandy - The Gangs all Here - Weathering I

After the experiments with streaking I finally feel like I can start the weathering process. While a good portion of what I have finished would also be considered "weathering" for me weathering is the getting things muddy and dusty.

I started off with more streaking, in this case with a dust color (avoiding buff which was my first choice but I used that early in the process to fade the dunkelgelb). The technique is the same as the regular streaking just with a different color and this time I only used the make-up sponge as my brush. I did this streaking twice to intensify the effect yet tried not to go overboard.

I followed that up with a combination of pigments applied to the track bogies, drive and return wheels as well as the lower hull behind them (I'm not sure how much of the lower hull should really exist on the S307). I "fixed" the pigments, more or less, in place with white spirits. This allows me to adjust things a bit after the pigments have dried. I could have used a "fixer" that pretty much seals everything into place but good luck making any adjustments after that!

Of course I haven't done this in a while and as you can see, I may have gotten a tad over zealous with my application with the pigments. Fortunately pigments are easy to adjust with a brush or even with your finger if need be.




4 comments:

  1. Those are looking great (and very filthy!)

    How "playable" are pigments fixed with white spirits? I have only really used pigments a few times, and recall that they either came off in the hand or became muddy looking with a spray sealer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How playable is a good question. It takes more effort to rub away the pigments when they are just fixed with white spirits, but it can be rubbed away without a whole lot of effort. I haven't really seen any rubbing away on the vehicles I have finished like that. Its one reason I like the pan pastels over just the straight pigments, they are designed with their own "glue" so they take concerted effort (with an eraser) to rub off. I usually finish with the Pan Pastels kind of as a sealer for anything underneath which means I don't have to apply a matte finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff, done A lovely job on those

    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays

    ReplyDelete