Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Friday, September 6, 2024

Modeling a Model Railroad - A Bridge or Two

I had already come to the conclusion that I wouldn't have another viaduct, just the one on the right side. Something was definitely lacking on the left though. A suggestion to add an underpass or a creek on the left was made and I have been messing around with that concept. It does require shifting track around to make it fit so there is likely to be some track revisions if I push forward with that idea. At least this came up before I started the new model of the benchwork.

I started off with the original benchwork model and cut a slice from it parallel to the viaduct and the same width (about 80'). Cutting this "canyon" also showed where I was going to need to make changes to the benchwork to support it.

Photos are always better:

Cutting up the original benchwork model

Making some tiny truss bridges. I started with a solid piece of PVC sheet. Then laid out the cross members and cut away the excess. Pain in the butt.

First bridge in place

A lower level view. Cutting out away the excess material was worth it.

Second double track bridge in place
And with a few freight cars. And the whoops moment, where I discovered I had lined up the double track bridge with the wrong line.
 Now its in the right place.
A few buildings in place. The only building set in stone at this point is the one in the right back corner and the right front corner will be a team track or something like that.
A look down the line. I think I like this. Will have to let it simmer for a few days.



5 comments:

  1. Very cool (the tiny bridge!).

    However, suggest that the viaduct and the canyon/creek etc should have different angles. Perhaps they could enhance the perspective of the piece if they were angled to run into each other past the horizon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felt like it took forever. I'll have to think of a better way.

      Delete
  2. Angling them towards each other for that vanishing point effect would be cool, but you start to lose real estate really fast and it might shorten the center to much on the back. I'll experiment a bit with it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, Vanishing point, that's what I meant! it might shorten the center too much, but then it would also widen the foreground as well.

      Delete
    2. And in this instance that's not necessarily a good thing. The switching locations are, primarily located along the long siding in the back. I need fewer switching locations along the front because they are difficult to switch because the buildings are in the way. Granted there are ways around that too, but I'm mostly interested in the backrow of buildings.

      Delete