Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, July 30, 2026

Building the Barbose Mining Co. Stamp Mill - Getting Started

The Barbose Mining Co. Stamp Mill Build

Part 1

The Barbose Mining Co Stamp Mill is a craftsman structure kit from Foggy Mountain Models. I ran across it while looking for a small stamp mill kit for my future Colorado & Northwestern model railroad. It has the classic stamp mill look without being identical to other stamp mill kits that are out there. It promises to be quite a different build from the Stoney Creek Design kits I have been working on.

I have a couple of objectives for this build. I want to install lighting right from the beginning. Based on what I see, I’m fairly certain that I will be able to access the interior in the future if an LED actual goes out so I can secure the roof in place rather than making it removable (although there are two roofs on the main structure so, in theory, one could be removable if really needed), a partial stone foundation. That foundation is not part of the kit itself and falls more on the scenery side but it has to be considered as the build goes forward.

Step one, read the instructions! Seriously! Cover to cover! Before you cut any strip wood or cut a wall section out of the frets read the instructions. Instructions are hard to write and these instructions are okay but there are a few things that were glossed over. Identify them now and think your way through them before you get frustrated while trying to glue a joint together.

Step two, double check that you have everything that is supposed to be in the kit. I did this sort of. You really need to examine what you get. For instance, the back freight door requires two u-shaped channels to serve as tracks for it to slide on. I received one u-shaped one and one z-shaped one. I didn’t realize this till I got to that step so I’m going to wing it rather than try and get another u channel from Foggy Mountain. This kit uses a large amount of 5/32” square strip wood for bracing. You should receive 25 pieces of this in the kit and I didn’t count what came in the kit. After I framed in the office and the boiler room I was running short of bracing!

Step three, things that are not included. The one that strikes me as odd is the kit does not include the NBW castings. Granted you only need these for Ore bins but it did mean I needed to order them (I didn't have any on hand, must have gone into another build at some point) from San Juan Details (or Tichy Trains which ever you prefer). I also ordered more 5/32” square wood from Northeastern Scale Lumber. In fact I ordered 10 2’ long pieces. At this point I have (close to finishing anything that needs bracing) used 9 of those extra pieces.

That’s our starting point, tune in for more posts on this build.

No comments:

Post a Comment