Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, September 3, 2020

World War II Project - Building the Rubicon M4A3E2 "Jumbo" Sherman

I have decided to leap ahead and build the M4A3E2 "Jumbo" Sherman this week. Moving it ahead of even my favorite PzKfw IIIs that I recently added to the stack. If you have been keeping up with the blog this is a resin conversion kit from Rubicon Models, which means you also need to buy their M4A3 kit to go along with it. Makes it a fairly expensive model after all that but sacrifices must be made.
Unlike a lot of conversion kits on the market the Rubicon kit comes with a full set of instructions so you won't be referring back and forth between two separate sets of instructions. A very good thing, I can only imagine what problems I would have manage to run into building the kit if I was referring to both sets.
The pictures here will focus only on the resin portions of the build. The rest I have covered in an earlier posting when I built my first Rubicon M4A3 (although I do need to find a new hatch cover for that one I managed to snap it off and lose it, and maybe get it painted up properly as well).
Starting off with the gun mantlet and then moving on to the turret itself:


I found that the turret base does not fit snugly so I opted to move it all the way forward to the front of the turret and leave an even gap the rest of the way around. I'll fill this with putty, not terribly concerned about it since its not at all visible but I was a little surprised by the gap.

The turret complete with the plastic parts. The MG is not glued in place so I can remove it for painting. I used Locktite gel superglue to attach all the plastic parts at this point and to glue the resin together as well. Its relatively cheap, easily applied and the gap ensures that it doesn't get clogged up.






No comments:

Post a Comment