Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Friday, September 25, 2020

World War II Project - P107 (f)/U304 (f) 21st Pz Div Halftracks - Tracks & Wheels

Halftracks are always such a joy when you get down to the suspension, getting to work on both tracks and wheels is so much fun. This is the last bit of work that the U304 (f)s are going to need and, of course, I'm still experimenting with the best way to weather both tracks and wheels to get them looking good.

I started with the tracks and basically followed the same set of steps I used on the S307(f)s. I was a little heavy handed on the tracks on these so I stepped everything back a little bit and I also purchased some pigment fixer that would make adding back in some grease and grime a little easier as it would fix the pigment permanently (and I do mean permanently) in place.

After the tracks I moved on to the wheels and tried out the oilbrushers to add the dust without resorting to pigments. I think these came out pretty good in the end. A little more practice and some better wheel castings and I think my wheels will start looking pretty good. I'm sure there will be some more halftracks in the future (not to mention jeeps) to practice on my wheel weathering technique.


Something to keep in mind you can mix pigments the same way you mix paint.

Pigments on the tracks

Tracks are a little shiny with the pigment fixer and while I waited for that to dry I started working on the wheels with the Oilbrusher (Buff).

The tracks from the other side after applying a combination of paint mixed with pigments on the tracks
A better look at the tracks with the paint/pigment combination. I think it needs more pigment and less paint but it looks okay.


Tracks on this side are done, wheel needs a little more work

Starting the wheels while the tracks dry

I see a couple of spots that could use a little work but overall these wheels looks pretty good.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll be glad to be finished with them though. Will have to bring all my 21st Panzer vehicles together for a group shot.

      Delete