Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, September 10, 2020

World War II Project - Building the Rubicon M4A3E2 "Jumbo" Sherman - Done

I'm calling the Jumbo ready for paint. While it lacks a lot (well all) of the stowage you typically find on American vehicles I don't want to add that till its painted. I have also decided to leave the 76mm gun as it is. I'm not sure why I picked the baffled version from the sprue but I did and its glued in there nice and tight. I figure that since this gun was swapped out in the field anyway there is every possibility that one made on to either a regular or field modified Jumbo.











4 comments:

  1. Looking good so far. When was the 76 with the brake available? Wikipedia says after August '44, but you might have better information. (and also that jumbos were often upgraded to the M1 76mm cannon, so you should be good there if you have yours be field upgraded.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just about everything was coming in with the 76 after August, but the muzzle brake wasn't introduced that early it started showing up on the M4A3E8 which is about November '44. I have never seen a picture of Jumbo with the brake so its probably going to be an ongoing issue in the back of my mind till I find a pic showing one with it, everything I have seen so far has the regular 76 without the muzzle brake. I see I also forgot to glue the travel lock to the front glacis!

      Delete
  2. I'm no expert on Shermans but isn't this a Jumbo with muzzle break https://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=111

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is indeed a Jumbo with a muzzle brake. Its a pretty modern shot but it will do in a pinch. Thank you!

      Delete