Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Something a little Different - Spinner Rack Assembly

 It has finally all come together. I cut the center posts and the interior supports and moved straight into putting the spinners together. These actually went together easier than I expected and overall I'm quite pleased with them.

This is a stack of 4" lazy susan hardware (the spinner part). These just barely fit underneath the 5" diameter spinner racks and only because the corners have been rounded off. Unfortunately while there is plenty of space under the 6" spinner rack it does make it look a little tippy although it seems stable enough. I'll go look and see if I can find any 5" lazy susan hardware for the future.

Everything stained, cut and ready to assemble. I only had to use the rubber mallet once.

Step 1, Insert center post, and glue 3 supports to it.

In step 2, I slid the center tier down the center post and in to contact with the support posts on the bottom, this way I didn't have to constantly measure if I had the top tiers at the right heights.

The tall racks all assembled and ready for spinner hardware

And the group shot of all the racks

It was getting late so I quickly attached a spinner to each of the 4 different sizes. Everything looks like its not standing straight in this and the next few pictures. That's because they aren't. Over the years the lamination has started to separate from this section of the counter top which is quite annoying since its the easiest spot to work at.

The dropper bottle rack with a full compliment of paint. This will hold pretty much anything that comes in the standard sized dropper bottles

The large jar rack with a full compliment of 24 jars. It holds the bottles from AK Interactive, Ammo by Mig and even a very old jar of MIG.

The Oilbrusher rack with a full compliment of 8 tubes. Right now only Ammo by Mig uses these containers. I think with a little plotting I can get a future version to hold 12 tubes.

The tool rack holds 16 tools. I modeled this after the rack from Micro Mark. The 1/2" holes are just to small to hold all the tools i wanted it to. Since I used a paddle bit there is a pretty deep center hole for some tools to slide into. While perhaps not an outright failure it needs to be reworked with a larger hole in the top tier. I could probably combine this rack and the oilbrusher rack together.

The full time loaded up and ready for some modeling.

Like any project I learned a few things that I would definitely change if I did another run of these racks.

1) Height. The bottle and jar racks are very tall, I wanted to make the bottles and jars very accessible, that being said I could reduce the height between levels by 3/4" and and 1" and achieve the same thing. On the plus side the bottle rack as built should fit my wife's craft paints.

2) The six inch diameter rack needs a bigger piece of lazy susan hardware for stability

3) The 1/2" holes on the tool rack are to small, make them the same size as the holes on the oilbrusher rack and reduce the hole count from 16 to 12.

4) The oilbrusher rack could have handle 12 holes up from 8 as built.

5) Staining was a huge hassle and it really meant that I had to stain every thing before I assembled it. I think I would prefer to paint the next run after I assemble it and do it with a rattle can. Staining just took forever

Other than that I think this was a very successful little project and I think I'll do another run of these with the improvements.


2 comments:

  1. Those look great, and what a fun little project to get everything organized!

    If stability is a long term issue, you could put the spinners on a base, rather than switch to larger spinners. They are hardly high use items, so the ease of which they spin and longevity is minor compared to the whole thing toppling over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right they could go on a base, but I don't think its going to be an issue long term. Phase 2 of this little project is to build a shelf that will fit in the back of the rolltop desk (perfect to protect the hobby from cats). The tall ones will be on top of that shelf. One of the drop bottle racks will be next to the airbrush station. I'm thinking I might need another one of these and, or course, I preparing to build a whole other set of the oilbrusher/tool spinner!

      Delete