Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, October 19, 2020

Something a little Different - Spinner Build Continues

Some more time stolen from other projects and put into the spinner racks! It sounded so simple in the beginning. At this point I have managed to drill more holes than I care to count (and I didn't) and cut squares into circles on the bandsaw. Some quick work with a palm sander and I was able to get the initial coats of stain on them.

At this point I need to apply another coat of stain to the edge and stain the bottom of all the discs. The dowels that will provide the center and interior supports are also finished although I'm debating doing another coat of stain on them. I was just going to do one but I think it would be better to give everything two coats. The 4" spinners that I will be using arrived on Saturday, although I do need to pick up some wood screws to attach them with.

Here is the progress so far (rapidly reaching the assembly point).

I think my hands are still vibrating from cutting out all the discs. You can see where the top layer of the plywood chipped out during the drilling. Those are the half inch holes and I probably should have used a regular 1/2 drill bit instead of a 1/2 paddle bit which would also avoid those little holes in the middle!

Two coats of Minwax Pecan Stain on the top, one on the sides. I need another on the sides and one on the bottom. I used the Minwax that contained stained and polyurethane to provide a bit of protection from the abuse I expect to heap on these.


2 comments:

  1. Well if you will be Mr DIY you bring it on yourself. I gave up on woodwork when my teacher back in 1980 said I had no talent or ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a truly awful thing for a teacher to tell you. I do admit that I enjoy working with wood what I'm doing right now certainly doesn't take a lot of skill, just knowledge. Anyone can take a compass and draw a circle. That's really the most difficult part laying out the compass on the wood.

      Delete