Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Painted Prototypes

I have decided that the basic idea behind the display bases and the diorama base are sound, I thought it would be good to get a little paint on them and see if they will pull off the whole "in context" concept that I'm looking for. Obviously the diorama base does that so I'm not particularly worried there (although the floor on the interior does need to be raised above the street level). The display bases on the other hand do need to convey a setting without overpowering the mini. I slapped some basic shapes and colors on to see how they might come out.


Matte Board sucks up paint like you wouldn't believe, so I primed them first.

The diorama base for "Steady Lads"

The display bases in the traveling configuration. I can also display them this way if space is tight on the display table, I'll need a couple of little lazy susans to pull this off I think, or some kind of small spinning display.

Up close and personal. I"ll use magnets to hold the display bases tight to each other.

A little paint on "Steady Lads", Again this is just a concept study, I just want to make sure things are working and get an idea for colors.


The floor and the window both need to be elevated above the sidewalk. That will give another distinct elevation that should add interest. I'm hoping to be able to make the room narrower. This will  depend on what I can do with the conversions.

From the front; "Orbit"

From the front; Dr Who?

From the front; Terror From Outer Space.
I really like how the continuation of the lines tends to flatten out the background.

From the front; Cover Shot
I'm trying to get the feel of a Victorian era "man cave" complete with trophies mounted on the walls. I'm quite excited about how this one is going to go together.

Showing off one way to utilize the display stands. This is for both travel and when space is tight at the display table or case.




Right now the painting is pretty rough, but I didn't want to spend to much time here. There is just enough paint to let me see if the basic concept of providing a context for the entries is going to work. I think I'm on the right track. Now to see if I can build them out of something other than matte board.

No comments:

Post a Comment