Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, June 5, 2017

World War II Project - Buildings - Photo Realism Concept XIII - Finished

I was on vacation for a week and was to busy to really get much done. The Honey Do List was quite long for the week. I did manage to grab an hour though and finally wrap up the Charlie Foxtrot Models Dormer House 2 though. Overall I'm pretty happy with the final product there are things that could be better but its always a learning process when you try out a new technique or two.

Things I did learn and will try to remember to do the next time.

1) Always trim the paper so that it will fold over the edges. This is for both the top and bottom as well as window and door openings. You just get a much nicer edge this way and a more complete look. You will have to file doors and windows to fit but this is worth the extra effort.

2) Hiding seams is hard! My main objective was to hide the puzzle cuts at the corners. In this I was successful, but what also needs to look better is the paper seams. On the outer corners I could hide this with different types of edging. I still see seams at the corners on the chimneys though. Granted for the most part I will be the only one that notices these issues.

3) Think through your modifications. Every time I added something to the exterior I forgot that it might affect how another part would fit. In this case it was primarily related to roof over hangs. I was fortunate that I was able to make the adjustments without breaking anything.

I really enjoyed putting together this Charlie Foxtrot Model kit and I look forward to putting together the other ones that are in the backlog now. The only real issue I have is that all the parts came in a back "unpunched" from the sprues. In there were some important pieces that look like scrap because they could have fallen out of a window or door opening. At one point I just through all the scraps away along with these pieces that are used to "fix" the first floor to the second floor. I'm not fond of the PVC piping that was provided for the chimneys either, it doesn't like acrylic paint very well, but that's a pretty minor quibble.

A few pictures of the final in process shots.

And some beauty shots to go along with those.

I think really did manage to cut down on the amount of painting that I might have normally done.


  1. Looks great Kris! Any thoughts on going through printer ink cartridges quickly with these types of builds? I almost bought into the Sally 4th Normandy Kickstarter but the cost of ink cartridges is terrifying!

    1. This project took about five sheets of pretty heavily printed paper, the Sally 4th buildings are going to need from five to six sheets most of which also feature some heavy printing.
      I cheated and used a color laser jet at work for the pages I used in this build. It would probably be worth checking out Kinkos or someplace similar to see what the price per page would be.
      Sally 4th also sells pre-printed sheets that might not be a bad way to go either.

    2. Thanks Kris! I had a brief discussion with Chris, in a thread on LAF I believe, regarding the option to buy pre-printed sheets, I hadn't realized that it was now an option - good to know!

    3. My pleasure. I would still look into having someone like Kinkos (or who ever they have become) quote a price on those pages.

  2. I must say this turned out better than I expected. While I think up close inspection would reveal the flatness of the stonework, at more typical game table distance it looks great. (and much better than a plain MDF or paper building would)

    1. Its certainly not going to survive a close inspection by any means but once its on the table and the action heats up no one is going to notice. I'm definitely going to continue to explore this technique with a couple of variations.