Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, June 11, 2020

World War II Project - Return to Normandy - Putting it together

I have a much of sub-assemblies and its time to bring them all together into a single massive edifice now. As you can tell I have pretty much thrown out the instruction book from Sally 4th at this point. After you have built one of these terrace house kits they are pretty much the same and you should build them in a way that best suits you. I think that overall this second one went together faster and easier. Not sure if its because I opted to build up all the sub assemblies first or not but it certainly made some things a lot easier. I'm definitely all for not assembling the basic building shell till the very last step at this point.

First thing to remember is to remove your exterior paper anyplace where another section butts up against a wall. On the back wall there are four spots where this happens. If you don't get back down to the original MDF none of the pieces in the backyards will fit very well or the fit will be so tight that you may actually break something. Its much easier to do this now than after you have started gluing things together (lesson learned when building the Left End Terrace House).
Nice fit and you can't even tell the paper was cut away from the main building.


Moving down the line, test fitting first and then adjusting things with a knife and file for a good fit.

Here are the center three sections cut. At this point I hadn't done the end walls, both of which just butt up against the back wall.

Everything looking pretty good at this stage.

Front and back walls all glued up with windows, doors and shutters.

Second floor built up and ready to go


Backyard "sheds" built up and ready. Note that I still need to add a little bit of stone wall to and edge here. I didn't bother gluing that bit on till after everything was assembled.



Here are the pieces for the main building. 
I glued up the back wall first as there is a lot going on here and it will really affect how the rest goes together.


Then adding an side wall.
 
Then the main floor fireplaces and the other end wall.

And then the front. Note that I have removed all the rubber bands that I used to hold this together while the glue dried.

Looking down at the main floor after the staircases were added.

And the second floor in place

The front and the roof. But wait the roof isn't finished! I didn't realize that I had completely run out of roofing material. So the roof will have to wait while I wait for more roofing material to arrive.

And from the back

Now sitting up against the left end terrace house.



I think its going to look really good once I get the sidewalks in place and some of those extra details like gutters and downspouts.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that looks rather good. Much better than raw or painted MDF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raw MDF certainly leaves a lot to be desired. I'm pretty pleased with the results so far. Some extra little details would go a long way in really making them standout.

      Delete