Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

World War II Project - Return to Normandy - Railroad Station Chimney

While I mull over how to do the rest of the brick I figured I could at least work on the fireplace/chimney. For the first floor this will be "plastered" so the brickwork itself only needs to extend as deep as the floor in the attic. Much like the main floor there are some very long slots so you can slide the chimney in from the top of the building to the first floor. An added complication is that it goes farther down in the center of the building than it does on the office side. In other words pay attention to what you are doing and don't try to force the chimney all the way down if you managed to reverse it. This one took a fair amount of filing to get it to slide nicely, again the fit is tight, really tight, and you need to widen those slots a bit before you try and jam it into place.

The chimney is going to have a seam and I decided I wanted it in the center of one side rather than at a corner. Since it goes up through one of the tall walls and out through the highest roof I figured I could but the seam in the center of the side that would be mostly hidden when the roof is in place. I also figured that if I did a decent job of wrapping the paper around you won't see the seam at first glance anyway.


The chimney with a line drawn for where I want the bottom edge of the brick to come down. Anything below that line will be "plastered". You can see one of the two slots on this side, there are matching slots in the wall and that will run up into the brick paper. Like the Sally 4th kits, you will need to remove the paper from the area where the chimney slides into position.

Here is the brick I'll be using. Its a little thicker than the stonework sheet I used in the Sally 4th buildings because its printed on a contact type paper. And the contact glue is not strong enough for our purposes so you have to apply glue anyway.

I opted for the seam to be on the long edge of the chimney. I was also able to use the brick pattern, etched by the laser, to keep things nice and straight. Here I'm only gluing down one side, then I'll wrap the whole thing around the chimney and then match back up along this line.

Always best to either clamp or apply weight while the glue sets.

Turning the first corner and gluing the next side.

Wrapped up in brick. I can see the seam but I know what to look for, still it stands out more than I hoped it would.

Chimney in place. Note that I cut the channel on the side a little to high. Although its harder to see than I expected. I might go back and fill this in with some scrap brick paper.

The "channel" seems a bit more pronounced on this side. But the roof is going to cover almost all of it. Still thinking about filling it in.

The inside with the seam. Really seams to stand in this photo.

With the attic floor in place. At least I got that measurement right.

And a peak through the windows. Plain or plastered downstairs and brick through the upper window. The view through the upper window can only be seen when the roof is not in place, otherwise the roof support blocks  this view.

No comments:

Post a Comment