Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

World War II Project - 28mm Village Church - Sarissa Precision - The Walls - Part 5

Getting close to wrapping up the basic wall construction. I'll leave the window work for later. I want to have stained glass in the windows and the only reasonable source for something close was out of the UK. I made that order and windows will be on hold till it arrives.

With the interior/exterior walls finished up its time for the short walls, "End Caps",  to fill the gaps. Each of these three pieces are, dimensionally, the same. Three feature larger versions of the arched windows and the fourth is the door with the top of an arched window above it. And there is a common feature of a smaller circular window near the peak. In this case I just quickly measured and cut out eight identical pieces of stone paper, marked the back side for the necessary cuts, remembering to measure for the door on one and it was off to the races.

At this point the whole process of cutting and fitting has become pretty routine. There are some pictures of the entire building dry fitted together below. One thing you will notice is that all the outside corners are still showing through as bare MDF. Since corner blocks are often a different color and more regularly shaped I'm going to cover the corners with thicker cardboard "stonework" to emulate that. I did something similar on the stone farmhouse but I think I have a better idea this time around. I won't do the corners though till the whole building is ready to be assembled and I don't plan to do that until after the windows are finished. I want to do as much as I can with everything flat, another lesson I learned the hard way from the railroad station.

Laying out the lines

Hard to see, but here are my cut lines

Eight pieces, pretty much identical

And there are the four "end caps" as it were.

And the dry fit after they were cut and glued up. I think its looking pretty good.





No comments:

Post a Comment