Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

World War II Project - 28mm Village Church - Sarissa Precision - The Walls - Part 1

I figure that this will take at least a couple of sessions to work through at this point. Basically I'm going to use the dark stone on the walls. The walls feature a lot of arched windows, fortunately there isn't arched brickwork so I'm not going to have to lay in individual bricks like I did on the railroad station. The trick this time will be accommodating the arch and getting the paper to line up properly. In addition to that I would like to have the arch appear on the inside and sandwich in some stained glass in there. I know that's overkill on two counts, first its a village church and probably only the four round windows would have stained glass and two it increases the difficulty of the build. Still every build should have a new challenge to work through so interior arch framing and stained glass it is.

The first obstacle is to get the alignment of the arches to match, relatively closely, on each side of the wall. I was figuring I would use some kind of template to do the bulk of the transfer work. Well, the kit actually provided that template, inadvertently to be sure. The outside framing for the arches is laser cut from a thin cardboard and I just punched out the center of the arch and that discard becomes the perfect template. After that I just had to figure out the proper placement on the inside. Also note that the decorative arch frame has a gap between it and the window so I had to account for the gap when drawing the arch in on the other side.

The whole transfer process became much easier than I expected and proceeded pretty quickly. Now that I know where the arches will be on the inside I just have to figure out how to cut out the stone paper to line up.


Here are the arches all punched out. I have had this stuff open for so long that almost all the centers of the narrow arches had fallen out and had gone missing. Fortunately the framing for the round windows were located in the center of the two remaining narrow arches so I still had something to work with.

Here is the outside of an end wall and the matching cardboard arch.

It lines up with the outside edge of the engraved pattern.

Flipped over to the interior side with my center piece of the arch on the left and the arch itself on the right. I am going to have to to duplicate that arch for the inside.

Free handing that location just isn't going to work.

Precision measurements from both sides and the bottom were the answer to the alignment.

Then just lay in the template between the lines.

Then trace the arch. Quick and much simpler than I was expecting

With the narrow arches I was able to free hand the location of the template once I established the bottom edge and one side. The circular holes allowed be to see the mdf and I just had to adjust the template location till there was an equal amount of MDF showing through on either side. Even easier than the big arch. I didn't do the window on the tower yet. I think I can put that off a bit for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment