Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Friday, April 28, 2017

World War II Project - Buildings - Photo Realism Concept II

I have been playing around with the Dormer House 2 from Charlie Foxtrot models getting a feel for how the whole photo realism thing will work on an actual model. I just dry fitted everything together to develop my plan of attack on this model. The textures I'm working with here are the ones from Clever Model, TO-321 Virginia City Brick, and TO-352 Wood Planks 4". I purchased both of these in O scale and then printed them at a reduced size to get them down to approximately 1/56th.

At this point I'm just trying to figure out a build and painting sequence that makes sense.


The first floor of the Charlie Foxtrot Model dry fitted together.

Adding the second floor, again just dry fitted

The Clever Model 4" planks cut to fit the first floor. Still just dryfitting at this point. I suspect that it would be better to cut a little oversize and then trim to fit after the glue has dried.

Same planks on the second floor

Checking out how the brick might look. Its hard to get a good feel for it at this point. I could apply this brick as the first layer and then cover it with a second layer and make cutouts in the top layer to expose some of the brick.

Some brick cut to fit two sides of the first floor. I would apply this and ignore the doors and window openings. I would cut those out after the glue has dried to get a better fit.

What it might look like with the second floor in place.

4 comments:

  1. I've been using paper textures for a bit now, and the quality has really come a long way these past few years. I think they are a great way to get decent looking buildings without too much cost and work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm very much tempted to try it on my old west buildings as well although I haven't found as many good textures for that as I have for more modern buildings.

      Delete
  2. I think these can look good, but I am a little dubious as to how they will look on your "hero" buildings... examining from different angles and up close is where the flat textures fall apart, and the colors do not seem to scale as well for some reason. (maybe not matte enough?)

    In any case, interested to see what you can do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scaling colors is always tricky. I suspect that part of the issue is, as you pointed out, that the paper is slightly glossy. I quick spritz old dull coat will probably help a lot. A little color manipulation might help too.

      I think you are right about not using the textures on the hero buildings. Will have to mull that over.

      Delete