Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Acquisition - 78-79 Ford Bronco in 1/87th scale

I continue to peruse through Lance Mindheim's new book and because of that I have been looking at cars and trucks in HO Scale. Lance recommends getting the best quality vehicles that you can because of their visual impact, although he also says you should avoid using people because of like of quality. I can't say I disagree with that but unfortunately these two things go together. On top of that finding enough different cars for the time period isn't easy either. I finally resorted to Shapeways and found a designer that goes by madaboutcars. He is not kidding, he has over 1000 offerings of mostly cars on the site. I decided to get one to check the quality. Since solid cars are just going to look strange I opted for one of his interior/exterior models which are pricey to say the least. I ordered a 78-79 Ford Bronco without thinking about it being way outside my time period but I doubt the average train enthusiast is going to notice that little fact.

I'm really pleased with the quality of the casting from Shapeways, there are a couple of rough spots, especially down the driver's side of the truck but nothing that can't be dealt with. I'll have to figure out a way to add windows (I think there is a product out there for that used by aircraft modelers) and I think these will work really well. At least I can add a driver and passengers without a problem.









No comments:

Post a Comment