Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Acquisition - Dreambox - Crafting Cabinet

This was a Christmas present for both myself and my wife. We tend to spill with stuff for various projects all over the dining room. We had run across this crafting cabinet earlier in the year, marked it as very cool, and then ignored it because it was very expensive. We received and unexpected Christmas check from my mother and decided to splurge on this cabinet.

This thing will hold all my modeling supplies and then some so splitting up the space between our mutual and specific hobbies isn't a problem. Putting the sucker together though required patience and held tongues. We opted for the DIY version since getting it assembled would add $400 to the price. We thought about all the various DIY furniture we had put together and figured it couldn't possibly be that hard. It took us 10-12 hours to assemble this thing over the course of about three weekends. The instructions estimated 4-8 hours. Four hours might be for someone that has put several of these together before and it absolutely requires 2 people to assemble. So really think that $400 before you decide to do it yourself.

Some of the instructions will drive you a bit batty, hence patience and read everything two or three times. Even after that I managed to do some incorrect assembly and had to back up. The instructions for the crown are particularly frustrating. Just remember the screws you are looking for aren't in the big box of parts they are in the small box that has the power cord in it.

The other thing is under accessories they need to sell the "I screwed up and need max storage" option. Or at least a pop up warning when you don't get it with max storage.

The first indication that I might be in over my head. It ships by freight and arrives in a very sturdy crate.

I'm definitely in trouble once I had the top off to reveal the contents

There box contains all the bits and pieces needed to assemble this monster.

After assembling. Note that the crown unit is optional but it contains and LED light so we added it. I'm glad we did. This is not a small piece of furniture. All folded up like this its 37" wide and 36" deep and stands just over 6' tall.

LED light on, starting to open it up.

All the storage you can imagine, table has not been deployed yet. We need to re-arrange the room a bit so the shelf wings can fold all the way out. Side to side, fully deployed its about 8' from side to side.

And with the table. The table has telescoping legs so if you prefer to stand you can.

At this point we need more shelves and more totes, because we didn't order max storage.

Bigger shelves under the table area
This cabinet would be a ASL player's dream. I'm pretty sure it would store just about everything that has ever been printed. From a crafting standpoint it would be fantastic as well, for me I can't do all my modeling here. Pigments can get quite messy plus the smell from my enamel and oil paints would drive my wife crazy so those operations will continue to take place in the current workroom.


4 comments:

  1. Oh my God! I need it sooo badly! IT'S TOTALY AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is absolutely incredible 😯 Can't wait to see it filled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't feel amazing putting it together. Once that part was complete it feels pretty amazing. Still need the extra stuff (shelves and totes) for max storage.

      Delete