Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, January 6, 2020

Acquisition - Black Seas US Navy Starter Set

I have always loved the thought of naval games but had never really jumped into, just played a fair amount of WWII games with other peoples' miniatures. There has always been an attraction to the Wooden Ships and Iron Men concept though and when Warlord Games offered a pre-release bundle I decided to jump in. I'm sure this will be yet another project that will sit on the shelf a while.

I decided that the best option for me was the US Navy bundle, principally because you get near the whole damn US fleet in the box. The starter box comes with the President and the United States, along with three smaller frigates; the Constellation, the Congress and the Chesapeake, six brigs and a gunboat squadron. Picking up the bundle added a terrain pack and the Constitution, so you have all the main elements of the US Navy right off the bat. I probably don't need to add anything beyond this.

The resin components include all the terrain plus the hulls for all three of the US super frigates. They are well detailed and I don't see any air bubble issues at first glance. That will probably show up when I start to paint them. The three smaller frigates and the six brigs are all in plastic and those components look very nice as well. There are three different stern sections for the three smaller frigates so they can be customized to represent the appropriate frigate.

Also included in all of this are the necessary game components for the US Navy. I don't have the rules or even know of anyone that has jumped into the game in my area but who knows that may never be an issue!


















No comments:

Post a Comment