Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Sledgehammer Project; Preparation Pt II

Found some time to do a little more work on the Sledgehammer. I was trying to figure out how to remove some of the scratch marks left from removing the mold lines. I decided to try out the same stuff that I use on my metal miniatures; super fine steel wool. Worked like a charm!


Here are a few components after the initial removal of mold lines. I have briefly toyed with replacing the barrel components with brass but I don't think I need to make that decision just yet.

A better close up, looks pretty grim although most of that is not going to show through a primer coat I would prefer to start off with a better surface.

After a few passes with the steel wool, which leaves quite a mess of small filings by the way.

The other side

Ready for paint!

You can see the accumulated buildup of steel wool bits all over the place.

This is an area that I'm considering to be a good candidate for additional detailing

I'm definitely at least adding a wood grain to this or replacing entirely

I'm thinking that this could be replaced with more of an mesh look rather than anti-skid steel plate

5 comments:

  1. Seems like this kit would be ripe for a photoetch super detail set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does cry out for one. Wish I knew more about that part of the hobby business.

      Delete
    2. apparently it can be done fairly easily with a laser printer to make the "negative", but certainly not something I have done before!

      Delete
    3. I have a number of projects that would be good candidates for brass etchings especially in cases where I want to make multiples and the thought of scratch building everything 5 or 6 times is a bit daunting.

      Delete
    4. Yeah photo etch (or 3d printing) would be the way to go there, so that you have identical parts.

      Delete