Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Friday, August 11, 2023

World War II Project - 28mm Village Church - Sarissa Precision - The Steeple Part 2

I pretty much jumped into the steeple without looking first. I just started where I had with every other wall, gluing on the stone paper. Then I started thinking about the assembly sequence. The best thing to do when thinking is to do the monotonous so I drew out the stonework for the corners, both inside and outside  Then I searched for a color to paint this stonework which I will also use on the windows. I settle on Neutral Primer from Badger . Unfortunately the outside of the cardboard that I'm using has a very glossy finish and doesn't take paint very well. I should have thought about that before I  scored the centerline on every single piece I had cut out! I think if I run some sandpaper over the gloss finish that should give me enough tooth for paint so no harm done at this point.

Here's where things are landing at this point:

Dry fitting the steeple together after all the paper has been applied and trimmed.

Looking down to see the "wood" floor

A bit out of sequence but here is a dry fit of the whole steeple

I cut out a single piece of trim to see if I had the proportions right. Looks pretty good at this point.

Cut six pieces, four for the outside and 2 for the inside (with the aforementioned issues with the glossy cardboard). I think I'll glue each corner piece on as a single piece and then cut them.

A little close up.
Throwing in a couple of paras to see what they think. Probably that this position is very exposed.


A bit out of sequence. Here is the upper portion of the steeple that the roof will rest on. Note that I remembered not to paper the inside portion that will be covered by the roof!
Gluing in the interior stone work on the bottom half which is, more or less, going to be visible.



Since I felt like I had the proportions right, I went ahead and cut out a batch of "corner" stone. This still isn't quite enough to do the whole building, but it will get me started. I also need to figure out how best to do this type of edging for the four arches on the inside, something else that should be done before I start gluing walls together.

A start on the shingles for the peak of the steeple.




2 comments:

  1. I like your method for the quoins. When I built my Warbases church I went with individual ones made from putty- a little tedious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is another word to add to my vocabulary. I figured there must be something that described those corner bricks. I have done the handwork method as well, very tedious and time consuming. I think it just depends on how many corners you are dealing with and how much time you are willing to put into it.

      Delete