Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, August 10, 2023

World War II Project - 28mm Village Church - Sarissa Precision - The Steeple Part 1

I continue to manage to put off working on the windows by moving on to the steeple. I'm justifying that by including the steeple as part of the roof assembly. I'm having some difficulties imagining the architecture that manages to put a stone steeple right in the center of the interior intersection (two crossing arches on the inside?) but that's what I'm working with. The steeple will also serve as the testbed for a couple of ideas I have about adding "stonework" at all the corners of the church.

I started off just like I did with the flat walls and layered on stone paper on both sides of the main and secondary pieces of the tower. I didn't completely think it all the way through and managed to glue on stone paper where it won't be seen. At least I remembered to use wood paper for the floor and not stone paper!


Here are the steeple walls all glued up.

A little weight to make sure it all stays flat!

The outside wall. On the second one from the left you can see that I cut out slot for the floor. That was a mistake! I managed to avoid doing it on the rest of them.

The inside wall. The mistake here was adding stone paper all the way down. I only needed to glue it down the the top edge of the slot for the floor. The rest will be totally hidden once I glue the assembly to the roof.

The floor, I figured wood would be more appropriate than stone  at this point. We will just ignore the fact that there is no way to actually get up here.

This is the top of the steeple. I still need to cut out the arches that will fit over the windows from the bottom part of the steeple. You will notice that this time I didn't glue stone paper where you won't be able to see it. The steeple roof will be glued on top of this.




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really is going fairly quickly. It just doesn't feel like it from my end. That urge to rush forward is hard to resist!

      Delete
  2. "I'm having some difficulties imagining the architecture that manages to put a stone steeple right in the center of the interior intersection (two crossing arches on the inside?)"

    Stone seems suspect to me too, but if you were going to use it for a steeple, the intersection of the nave and the transept would be one of the best places to put it. That intersection is reinforced from all four directions and the intersecting arches are quite strong.

    As an example, it's where the (wooden) spire of the Notre Dame is placed (will be placed?). Of course, the stone towers are at the front corners of the building, where they can transfer their masses directly down their walls to the foundation, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are the words I was looking for; nave and transept. Thanks Doug!
      A stone steeple at that location certainly could work then, although how do you actually access it? But then terrain designers don't seem to worry much about how things should actually work (with a couple of notable exceptions). If it looks good that's all that counts and admittedly it does look good.

      Delete