Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Kickstarter Loot - Serious Loot!

It has arrived! The Walter Koessler book has finally made it. I have been more excited about this Kickstarter than any of the other ones I have backed to this point. Its especially poignant with the 100th anniversary of WWI coming up. Some truly amazing pictures in here it really does detail the whole life of some these soldiers from the beginning of the war to the end.

Here is a look at a few pages
Opening the box

There is the book, with my request book band (its not part of the book, it slides off).

Most of the pages are like this. A scan of the original album page and on this one a couple of enlargements and a bit of description.
The best part of are some of the pages are full sized enlargements of the smaller album pictures. Easy to do since they family maintained the original negatives in such good conditions.




4 comments:

  1. Fascinating I bet that is a treasure to look through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only managed to flip through it so far. I have been swamped with work but I'm certainly looking forward to sitting down and really getting a chance to go through it.

      Delete
  2. Looks grand! I didn't have the mad cash available to participate, so I'll have to wait for store availability. If this is the kickstarter I'm thinking of that includes photos taken by an officer to include buildings and towns that were erased by the war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if this one is going to hit the stores, he didn't print much beyond what was necessary to fulfill the pledges. Be sure to check his website for availability. While there are a number of pictures of ruined buildings and towns there really aren't that many. I think what makes the book the most interesting is that it really shows off the lives of the soldiers beyond what the nightmare in the trenches might have been like. I also get the impression, at least from most of the pictures, that his unit was deployed in a relatively quite sector.

      Delete