Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, November 5, 2012

Are you a proper Wargamer? - Curtesy of The Wargaming Site

The next viral post from Phil B at The Wargaming Site


One does not simply claim to be a wargamer by having a couple of games of 40k.  No, no,no.  There are many steps you must go through before calling yourself a true Wargamer.

To genuinely call yourself a Wargamer, then you must have done most or all of the following;

* Spent at least £500 on figures / tanks - and you get extra kudos for every £500 you've spent
I'm thinking kudos are in order. Its been an unusual year for me.
* Pricked your finger or thumb on a pike block - several times
Countless times now. The worst are bare flagstaffs. I really need those flags to identify them besides by touch.
* Tried at least 10 different rule sets and vowed never to play half of them ever again
No problem with that one. I probably disavow knowledge of more than half the rule sets I have played.
* Bought an army off EBay
No, it would have to be the perfect army for me to do this.
* Sold an army on EBay
No, only because my friends are good enough to buy them before I resort to this and eBay didn't exist when I was sold them.
* spent months painting an army - then used it in anger once
Yea, fortunately it was a small army
* tried several different periods and genres
Oh, yea!
* dropped a box of figures on the floor from a great height
Sadly yes on this one too. I haven't opened that last one back up yet.
* lost a battle on the last throw of the dice
More than once!
* made at least one enemy for life
At least one, a number of others that I don't even know.
* had a proper, stand up argument over a wargamer's table
Yes, hence at least one of my enemies, but I never start it!
* thrown a dice across a room
And embedded in the wall!
* rebased an army for a different rule set
Again, more than once and I'm doing it right now.
* inflicted a whopping defeat on an opponent
Every now and then it goes my way. I can think of one ACW game in particular.
* suffered an embarrassing defeat due to a stupid tactical decision
Done that more than once as well.
* joined a wargamers club
Yes, and I'm still a member
* bought a ton of lead that remains unpainted
Oh yes, that's my pile of immortality, although the amount that is resin is creeping up.
* been to a wargamers show
Been to them, helped run them, managed them and still attend after all of that.
* have more dice than is logical or necessary to own - and have used most of them
Of course, and I have used all of them. No die shall remain unrolled!
* have taken boxes of troops down to a club just to show them off to your mates
Yes, there is always something to show off.

Any more you can think of?
How about this: Do you own reference books for periods you don't even intend to collect an army for?

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing if you decided to jump on this bandwagon Fran!

      Delete
  2. I've seen this making the rounds. Kris, you qualify ten times over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I might be on the edge with a couple of those answers. ;)

      Delete
  3. Done all of those except Ebay (don't use it) and throwing dice across the room (intentionally anyway). In fact I've been a member of wargames clubs on two continents.

    I'm a bit disappointed that the other half of wargaming is completely ignored, though.

    Other qualifiers:
    Have any armies that you bought and have painted none of the figures? (Yes, more than one.)

    Written a rule set because you were unhappy with the available choices? (Yes, more than one, including a fairly popular Old West set.)

    Written a rule set that even you disliked when it was done. (Sort of. It met its design goals and people said they liked it, but I don't want to play it.)

    Started a new period purely because of a book that you have read. (Yup.)

    Built the same army in more than one scale? (More than once.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other qualifiers:
      Have any armies that you bought and have painted none of the figures?
      Yes, I have several of those myself
      Written a rule set because you were unhappy with the available choices?
      Yes, although they weren't much better, but they did get played a couple of times
      Written a rule set that even you disliked when it was done.
      Yes, no one got to see that one!
      Started a new period purely because of a book that you have read.
      Yes, guilty
      Built the same army in more than one scale?
      Yes, WWII, ACW and Napoleonics!

      Delete