I think its looking pretty good at this stage. I still need to cut out the windows and doors but at this stage it does look like a house made from stone blocks. since this kit has door and window inserts I think I'll just cut the edges even with the exterior edge and not try and do a fold to cover the interior edges.
I did let this glue dry overnight to make sure I had a good solid bond and I used books as weights. I did make a few tears during the cutting but with the randomness on the stone its hard to see. You really need a good sharp (probably new) blade when cutting the paper. At least it shouldn't wear down as quickly as it does with foamcore. I dry fitted everything together again to check the fit and it is tighter with the the thickness of the paper. The seam between floors is almost invisible at this point which is great, but the corners are going to need a little work to hide that edge.
At this point I need to either paint the inside because it looks really odd with just the floor in place or use the wallpaper pieces that I took from one of the Sally 4th kits. I may just apply the paper just to get a feel for working with it.
Here is my work up to this point:
|The textures from Clever Models|
|Wallpaper from one of the Sally 4th Sheets|
|The glue, this is good stuff and my preferred glue when working with paper. Final Assembly will be done with Titebound.|
|When you are positioning things you need to keep in mind which surfaces are going to be seen and that wood and bricks are running in the same direction.|
|A little Aleene's Tacky glue applied to the second story floor|
|Smeared around to cover the whole thing. Try to make sure the entire surface is covered especially near the edges. I did fix a few spots on this one before putting it down on the paper.|
|Floors being glued to the paper. Note the Charlie Foxtrot Models logo as seen here is the bottom and as such its the other side that has the glue on it!|
|Nothing like a few computer books for weight|
|After a night of drying|
|Cutting out the pieces. I recommend a new knife blade for this to avoid tears.|
|A close up of the plank flooring|
|The 1st Story dry fitted together. The best corner is the interior corner where the extension meets the main building.|
|Popping on the 2nd Story, again just dry fitted together|
|A better look at the whole thing. The edges are definitely going to need some work, But the seam between the 1st and 2nd story is basically invisible.|
|Propping up the front roof to show off the chimney. I think the overall look is quite good at this point. Just need to fix that edge and it will look quite sharp.|