Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, April 9, 2012

Norman Saga Commission - The Horses

Well, after spending a whole weekend learning to use the airbrush, I figured I better put it to good use. So out came the horses for the three points of SAGA Hearthguard and the warlord, 13 horses. They were mounted up and primed white (and quite frankly, despite my grey primer leanings, black is a better primer for the airbrush sometimes with a shot or two of white primer over the top to really make things pop). I messed up the midtone initially (bad color choice) but easily overcame that since the airbrush paint goes on so thin. Overall I'm pleased with them at this point. They are down to brush work right now. I did airbrush the socks just to see if I could do that and really didn't have much problem with that. The black manes were tougher and that really will need the paint brush to finish up. I did one blaze but I think it will be better to do the blazes with the brush. Some are better than others but I'm still learning what I can and cannot do and what will work best with different things. I worked with Vallejo Model Air, Vallejo Panzer Aces, Flames of War (which I believe is just Vallejo Game Color re-packaged) and Reaper HD paints.
Here are tonights results:










8 comments:

  1. Good hand skill, I still haven't got mine out of it's box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to get it out of the toolbox! You would have blown Ray away in that little competition you were in!

      Delete
  2. You were a posting demon while I was away!! I read all the airbrush posts and I have to say that the airbrush really lays down a nice even coat of paint. Just seamless and perfect. I think the blaze you did on the one horse looks really good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that blaze looks pretty good myself, the problem is that within the limitations of the airbrush all the blazes would look the same. I wanted more variety than that. But overall very happy with it, still need more practice with it. Although I think I'm going to pull out a "mini" that I haven't wanted to paint for a long time and starting work on her with the airbrush.

      Delete
  3. I have a feeling I know which "mini" she'll be. The question is will you post her. If it's the one I think it is, you'll get thousands of pageviews from it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the one I'm planning on starting with is probably not the one you are thinking of. But it will be a she, and I would expect to get a lot of hits. However, I may have to wait to post since she will be a contest entry at ReaperCon in May (coming up way to fast).

      Delete
  4. You must learn to focus grasshopper!! May is almost here and you've got how many projects going at the same time? Bloody hell man, May is screaming it's way towards you like a freight train!! I hope you win!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, its hard to track of the projects. And, yes, May is coming on like a freight train. I will only have two projects for the con though so I should be okay. The big one I already have here but I need to get the miniatures for the other one. I could begin base construction. I always have to many projects! I seem to be a consistent silver finisher at ReaperCon so I'm going to really go all out this year.

      Delete