Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, January 30, 2017

Madbob's Miniatures - Getting on with the Camo

Its been a few days (well almost a week) since I have been able to work on the WWII German vehicles so I pulled out the airbrush and some paints and went to work on the camo pattern. I had done a little bit of research on these, but there aren't a lot of references for these vehicles out there. Some of the B&W photos I did find showed the vine like pattern which seemed to be pretty common in Normandy so I went with that. What I wasn't sure if it was a two tone or a three tone pattern. I opted to go with the three tone pattern just because its more fun. I'm going to call the pattern done at this point and get ready to bring out the paint brushes and add the decals. Weathering will follow after that but I'm going to keep it a little on the lighter side, you just don't see the mud here the way you do on Eastern front vehicles for the most part.

Here's a look at the progress so far.

The paints for the evenings work, I'm becoming a fan of these for airbrush work. Jury is out on how well they will work with a brush. The AK airbrush paints worked great in my airbrush too but were pretty useless when you tried to apply them with a brush.

Started with the green

Added the brown, my control was a bit lacking this evening, my skills are definitely rusty.

I came back in with the green, since I had lost so much of it with some of the wide swatches of brown that I had managed to lay down.

Of course then I had started to lose some of the dunkelgelb base so I went back in with that to clean things up a bit.

In the end I'm pretty happy with the results. I don't think my attempts a bit of modulation were to effective but I think there is definitely a learning curve with that. My dark areas went to light in the end and they should have been much darker to have the desired effect. I'm definitely ready to move forward with the brushwork now.

One of the things that has become more obvious as I have worked on these vehicles is that I should have done a second coat of my Milliput wash. The roughness of the surface is still pretty apparent in some areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment