Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, October 17, 2022

Finally! Setting up the D1 XTool

Its been sitting in its box for ages, but I finally spent some time and got out the D1 and set it up. Partially because I wanted to see what I was going to need to build to house it and actually use the darn thing,

Here are some quick pictures of the setup and the final result. Now I just need to download the software and see what I can do with it.

Just what I needed, more foam. Ridwell won't even take this stuff.

Here we go with all the parts pulled out of the foam.

Here is the basic frame assembled.

And a bunch of stuff going on that you can't see. Took this because it represents me not taking pictures.

The unit came with the 10W laser but when I purchased it they were working on the 20W upgrade and you could purchase it at a discount for being an early bird.

Another box full of parts. The laser now requires its own power supply.

And after a lot of messing around, this is what you end up with at the end. There are a couple of pieces that you didn't see in the other photos. I added the honeycomb plate which is what you see in the center cutting area of the laser. In the right top corner is the air assist to help blow out smoke and debris from the laser's path. Then there are two power supplies. The big one in the front is for the laser itself and the smaller one in the middle is for the device itself and can power the whole thing if you are only using the 10W laser.

After I put this together I went out looking to see what folks had built for enclosures. At that point I discovered that the honeycomb addition creates a few problems because of its height which reduces the Z Axis cutting area. I see a couple of good solutions out there already as well as some very useful jigs. I'm excited to get it up and running, I have a head full of ideas and Calamity is likely to be the biggest benefactor!


No comments:

Post a Comment