Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

AWI Project - Fife and Drum have arrived

When I originally decided to get into the AWI I had decided that Perry Miniatures and Fife and Drum were going to make up the bulk of the miniatures in my AWI armies. I will be focusing on the Americans first and the Perry plastics have been at least started (Progress is slow, there is always so much to do around here). In the meantime I figured I may as well add to the lead mountain and put in my initial order to Fife and Drum. Following some advice from TMP I'm opting to start the army with four continental regiments and one militia regiment. With that in mind I ordered enough miniatures from Fife and Drum to build two 28 figure continental regiments and one 28 figure militia regiment. Of course since I only have one regiment ready to go from the Perry's I need to find another plastic box of them somewhere, I'll probably try the Warstore first.

So 84 miniatures from Fife and Drum arrived yesterday. I had a chance to go through this morning Jim at Fife and Drum did a marvelous job at filling my order. Although I do wish he would work up some regimental packs, it was a bit tedious getting my order into his system. They are fabulous miniatures and I really can't recommend them enough. They are well cast and mold lines are quite light. They were well backed and I only saw a few bent bayonets in the packs. Jim was also kind enough to include a few freebie extras in the package including a mounted American office (fortunate since I was going to order one and I forgot in the excitement of ordering more lead).

I need to clean up a couple of these and paint up a couple of samples just to see what I can do with them. I'm currently painting 4 of the Perry's right now. Four happens to be the number that fits on the popsicle/craft sticks I use when painting up army units. So you can at least look forward to a couple of samples in the next couple of weeks.

The first set of bags of minis all came with a nice header card attached.

I think by the end he was tired of attaching header cards! Looking forward to breaking out the brushes and working on these!

10 comments:

  1. Now that is a nice supply of lead!

    I keep dancing around the idea of a AWI project, but I certainly could not to a full battle game in 28mm... to much else going on. (or mostly failing to go on!)

    Anyway, I will be interested to see a comparison against the Perry Plastic/Metal (and Foundry?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll snap a comparison photo next time I'm down at the desk. A skirmish game in 28mm would work well for this period too!

      Delete
    2. Yes, either something like Sharpe Practice and a few boxes of plastic, or going "big battle" but with 10mm...

      Delete
    3. 10mm or 15mm even. I'm going big battle 28mm simply because the battles for the most part are quite small so you can go for big scale spectacle!

      Delete
    4. Yes even with conservative figure ratios you can easily replicate most of the war with just a few castings! And easier uniforms than the Napoleonic wars.

      Delete
    5. I'm toying with doing ACW in 28mm as well. Maybe when I finish my 15mm army.

      Delete
    6. Even easier uniforms! And the big Perry box makes it very cheap (provided that the figures appeal to you)

      Delete
    7. They really don't get much easier than the ACW uniform wise. I haven't really looked at the Perry boxes yet, I'll try and finish off the 15mm stuff first and there is still quite a ways to go to complete that although the infantry portion is really almost done, its the cavalry that is holding me back and I need more infantry command stands.

      Delete
  2. I really like Fife and Drum minis - they're very easy to paint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy to paint sounds pretty good right now. The Perry's have been okay, but they can be a bit complex for painting.

      Delete