Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, January 25, 2018

LA Warehouse District Project - Old Freight Cars Uncovered

Again while rummaging through the HO scale equipment I came across these four 50' freight cars that I had weathered quite a while back. Unfortunately I must have packed the the underframes and the trucks away in a different box. All I have here are the shells. I am still pleased with these early attempts at weathering. I think I have at least one post on how I did it that I'll have to go back and read to figure out what I did.

I also dug up the two CF7s that will be the primary motive power and another dozen or so freight cards from Athearn and Roundhouse that I can work on. I'm pretty certain there is yet another box of refrigerator cars that I had started some work on as well.


I'm going to need to do something about the roof walk on this one.


This one is looking pretty good.


A foreign car that will operate on the layout. The Western Pacific still exists in the time frame of my LA Warehouse District


Another foreign car. This one will be pushing it a bit, I think this Reefer from the Burlington was introduced after the time frame I have in mind. But I like the yellow contrast of this car to the AT&SF ones that will provide the bulk of the deliveries.


6 comments:

  1. Kris, what time frame are you doing?

    Nice work on the weathering, is it paint or pigments?

    I am glad to see you getting back to some RR related stuff here on the blog. Like you I am working on my HO Layout based on Orange County in the 80's as well as gaming. So your giving me inspiration to get back to my own RR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using CF7s as the motive power which sets it in the 70s. I think the Santa Fe retired all of those conversions by 79 and started selling them off in 84.
      As I recall I used both pigments and oil based paints (primarily as washes) on the weathering. Since that time I have acquired a bunch of the Pan Pastels which are pigments in a more cake like form that are a lot easier to use than pigments straight out of bottle, I use those on almost anything I want to weather these days.

      Delete
  2. Kris,

    I dont think ATSF sold all of them off, I can remember seeing CF7s working the Fullerton Turn in the late 1980's to early 1990's. I will have to dig through my photos to find them. It was like finding a rare gem when I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be quite the find! I know the first batch was sold off in 1984 and the second in 1987 but I thought they were retired from service in 1979.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. warehouse line marking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m pleased you found something useful here,

      Delete