Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Saturday, January 27, 2018

LA Warehouse District Project - Track Plan, First Draft

Here is a somewhat incomplete look at the first draft of the LA Warehouse District track plan. Its not an original design. The original can be found in the 2005 Model Railroad Planning titled "Lots of Switching, small space" by Scot Osterweil.

As original drawn it was intended to fill a 1' x 6' shelf and use 40' freight cars. Since I have more room than that I wanted to redraw it using #6 turnouts, and use 50' freight cars, rather than the original Peco short and medium turnouts it was designed with. I'm unhappy with it at this point because I'm can't quite make the back two turnouts work the way I want them to. Also, while I have tried, its difficult to draw an accurate turnout even following the NMRA guidelines which means I'm not sure that I have the frog angles correct which skews the drawing. I need to figure out a better way to do this part since it really needs to be reasonably accurate if I'm going to be able to translate it to the actual layout with confidence. It looks like it will fit, but I have a lot more space available on the left side and I haven't even begun to think about the other leg of the L. A fiddle yard might just be the way to go here and not worry about using it for anything but a delivery device for the main leg of the L.

No comments:

Post a Comment