Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, April 4, 2019

LA Warehouse District - Potential Warehouse Buildings

I was browsing through the few HO kits that I have and deciding if they fit the "look" that I would like to achieve with the LA Warehouse District. What I have are two kits from Monster Modelworks (if you know who bought this company and when they will re-open let me know).  Those are both in, they have the brick detail that I like and is at least reminiscent of the brick buildings that make up the "Patch". The other four background kits I have are from Walthers and I'm on the fence about those. I would probably be better off utilizing the Woodland Scenics modular brick panels (or is that DPM, one of those guys anyway). I want that older turn of the century brick era brick work that has survived into the 70's. Maybe what I need to try is Mindheim's photo building technique.

I think the only real issue here is that door locations. Those aren't even set for 40' freight cars, let alone 50 footers. Going back to Lance Mindheim philosophy what is important is the number of spots available on a siding. Ideally doors would be set at a distance apart that would allow a freight car to be spotted directly in front of it. Now based on age you could see doors set for freight cars running from 30' up to more modern lengths. My thought would be that doors could be set for 40' freight cars at a minimum as there was still a good mix of both 40' and 50' lengths in the 1970s.

I love this building, now I have the incentive to actually finish it. The only flaw is that a viewer will not be able to see the back side of the building. That could be corrected by setting it at an angle rather than parallel which would probably be a good thing in the long run. I'll have to explore that possibility next, especially since the back section will be dead straight.

I have this one, but I'm not thrilled with it, the look is a bit to modern and there is not nearly enough brick. And for its length it only has two car spots. This seems to be pretty common with these Walther background kits. At least this one has 3 options for the length.

This one is better, and with the height it would make a nice view block, extending well above the eye level of the layout. Again it suffers from only have two car spots when it could easily have accommodated three.

I really like this one, for some reason the covered unloading area really appeals to me although there is nothing like it in the original "Patch" area. But style wise it would fit and there were covered areas like this in the area that were rail served. Has two spots and its about the right length for that.

This is a nice little building but it is long enough for two spots and only has one. Most of the Walther kits seemed to be designed for truck traffic than rail traffic sometimes.



2 comments:

  1. Quite a nice set of buildings. Regarding the freight house, if you want the back side to be seen, you could angle it as you say, or you could cut it off and use it for another building...

    And I think DPM makes the brick panels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of things to try! You are right those panels were made by DPM which must have been bought by Woodland Scenics at some point. I found them on the Woodland Scenics Site.

      Delete