Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Friday, September 23, 2022

Wynkoop Street Sidings - A Correction and more information

 


I'm going to go back to this picture that I blogged about a couple of weeks ago. This is the bridge at the end of Wynkoop street that crosses over Cherry Creek. I commented then that this led to the C&S Rice Street yard, which also confused me because the area is switched by the D&RGW which can only access these sidings by crossing this bridge.  The reality is that this bridge pretty much leads directly into the D&RGW's 7th street yard. The Rice Street yard is farther to the west.

I took someone's comment in a forum at face value without checking, even though my mind flagged it as "you should check this before you say something". A quick look at my collection of Sanborn maps would have indicated that the yard south of Cherry Creek did belong to the D&RGW.

Just reminded me to "Trust but Verify". Ultimately in the design it doesn't really matter. It is nice to know that the area was worked out of the 7th Street yard which should make figuring out the potential motive power a bit easier and potentially more varied.


Photograph by John Hill. A picture that I had not seen before. Its sometime after the 15th Street viaduct was put in and you can see some interesting trackwork right underneath it. This is the kind of information that can be found when you ask a question in the right forum!


No comments:

Post a Comment