Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Saturday, July 27, 2024

What's Been Going On - 5

I guess this project, well two projects, falls back into the modeling category which may mean I have finally broken through the modeling apathy. I'm working on two small layout models mostly for fun. I had done a small exercise in creating a potential model railroad photo diorama of a harbor scene. The enthusiasm dried up for that after I had added some color although I did like the concept I wasn't going to go any further with it but it did stir up the desire to really get back to working on the trains. Especially so with the DRGW RS3s hopefully arriving in August this year.

While my emphasis is still the DRGW along warehouse row I'm exploring a couple of designs just to have something that might actually get built. Hence the models. The first one is a 5'x8' island layout for my On30 equipment. Originally I was thinking quite a bit smaller but in the end I decided that I would like to run my larger equipment which means a minimum radius of about 20". This one is based on a track plan designed by Dave Meek that he drew for HO, by adding an extra foot to the width it to hopefully work in O scale (hence the model). Here are the bits I have so far for this:

I'm building the model from the frame up. I may need to adjust the the framing a bit and add another cross piece. The 5' length adds some interesting problems to overcome, including electrical connections.


One additional requirement; its got to come apart. I don't see this as something that would happen on a regular basis but I figured it was better to build in the capability from the ground up. So four 2'x5' box frames.

One of the things that has brought models like this to a halt in the past is the ability to actually cut circles. I found a circle cutter that pulled this off. It wasn't designed for this particularly use but adapt and overcome! The outside diameter is set at 21" the inside at 19" so I should be pretty close to a 20" radius centerline.


The second one is just a variation of John Allen's Timesaver switching puzzle but a bit longer and wider to accommodate some level of scenery. I'm looking at this as practice to build warehouse row. And the frame for this one:

I cut the framing from the left over scraps of the On30 model.

Again just going with a more or less standard box frame which is 4' long and 18" wide.

And here is the configuration: 8' long and 18" wide. Should be easily storable and I think the buildings will be removable for storage. I do plan for this one to be stored on a regular basis which will necessitate some electrical connections between the two halves.


No comments:

Post a Comment