Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Here thar be treasure - Part 2

I had something of a disaster tonight. I was working on the "hero" for the diorama and she literally broke in half when I went after a mold line that I missed. Literally broke in half across the stomach. I tried to glue her back together but was only partially successful. So my choice is to start over or give her one hell of a scar across her stomach. If I can find another one locally I'm going to start over on her, I'm just not sure I can pull the scar off.

So instead of painting the miniatures I opted to get the base as close to finished as I could tonight. Here are some pictures of tonight's progress. This has come a long way from what I showed the other day. I would say that its really about 90% complete at the moment. I'm leaving one wall loose so I can position the minis inside the hall correctly, then I'll seal the whole think up. I'm please with the claustrophobic effect its giving off right now.
So a shot from the last time.
And how it looks now, without the wall.



 And with the wall in place

10 comments:

  1. I was about to log off for the night when I saw your post pop up on my blog roll. I'm so very sorry to hear this. You've put a lot into the figure and to have this happen so close to the deadline is dreadful.

    The base is wonderful Kris, truly a work of art. Please know that I'm thinking of you and wishing you success in either fixing her or finding a replacement in time to finish before next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne! I'm sure it will all come together. I could always use a different mini if it came down to it, but this one literally is perfect for the setting.

      Delete
  2. Very nice! Sorry to hear about the hero of the piece, there is nothing worse than that sinking feeling when you know you just caused irreparable damage to a miniature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the worst part is that it wasn't even my fault. Its a casting flaw, like the metal cooled to quickly in the middle or something. Very much a freak accident.

      Delete
  3. Now that's when you say what a difference, lovely work Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its amazing what six hours of work will make! I'm happy that its coming out so well. I just need to blend the roots into the trees and then add the ground cover and its ready for minis!

      Delete
  4. Awesome work....ADDED YOU TO MY BLOGROLL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment and adding me to your blogroll!

      Delete
  5. A shame to hear about your hero,but your base is a phenomenal piece of art. I can't wait to see what you do to complete the set (figures and all)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I definitely think this is one of my better bases. I like the one I did last year but I need to upgrade that one a bit and see if I can't do better with it. The effect I wanted for this one really came together.

      Delete