Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Acquisitions - Expanding the PzKfw III Library

As of late I have had a wild scheme working its way through my head which caused me to pull down all the books in my library on the PzKfw III (SdKfz 141). I was really looking for some drawings detailed enough to take measurements from and not finding what I wanted (and I have 11 books specifically on the Pz III but only two are really useful for drawings; Achtung Panzer #2 and the ancient Squadron Signal book). I have had my eye on the Panzer Tract books for sometime so I decided it was time to make some acquisitions. Turns out my timing is off, badly, and three of the five Panzer Tract books are out of print. Off I went on a swirl trying to find all five of them, which I did manage, although one of them is already commanding pretty high prices (although I don't think anyone is going to pay $700-$800 for these and there are a number for sale at those prices).

I also managed to pick up a few others on a very dangerous trip to the Aberdeen Bookstore. I suggested that visit on Saturday saying that I was sure she would be able to find some books on Eisenhower there that she didn't have (I was correct and our bill for the day went up accordingly).

I have three of the Panzer Tract books in hand now, with two still in the mail. One coming from Japan and the other from the UK, hopefully they will be here shortly.

Here are the new additions:


PzKfw the early variants; A-D

PzKfw the middle variants; E-H

An example of the drawings available in a Panzer Tracts book. The originals are done in 1/24th scale and then shrunk down to 1/35th scale for the books.

PzKfw III Variants, like the flame version


And this is the kind of thing that catches your eye while you are in the the bookstore. This one came with a set of decals, but they are a little different from what I'm used to. They may actually be some kind of peel and stick. Hopefully the book will have some information on them. This book is a real gem though, a whole section of color photographs from Pz IIIs in museums along with extensive scale drawings done in 1/48th scale. If you don't want to pay $100 for Panzer Tracts 3-3 (which covers the J, L & M variants) this would be an excellent alternative.

And a small picture book, also with a set of decals.



So that's five new additions to the PzKfw III library with two more on the way, which will bring the total to 17 or 18 I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment