Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Sledgehammer Project; Preparation Pt VI - Collecting Materials

I woke up at 2:30am the other day and couldn't get back to sleep. During that time I managed to think my way through the process of creating masters for defensive fortifications that I need for the diorama. I did take a look around for some of the resin pieces that Forge World made a long time ago and I actually found some, however, I was definitely not going to pay the price that people were asking for them. Hence I decided to make my own and there are to many pieces needed to build them individually. I need to make 6, or so, masters and have those cast in resin (I'm going to lean on a friend for the molds and casting) to get the requisite number (I don't even know what that number is yet).

Since I need to have pretty sharp edges I'm electing to the really critical pieces of the masters out of brass (although probably with glue rather than solder). For the floor pieces I wanted a diamond pattern and I was just running through all kinds of time intensive ways to create those till my early morning wake up call. Instead of actually building the diamond pattern up all I needed to do was find a square grid about the right size and when just turn it 45 degrees to the edge, instant diamond! While it won't have the elongated diamond shape it will give the right look when I put it all together.

A quick run to the local hobby shop came up with these materials and combined with some sheet styrene should get me to the right place.

A square grid, a piece of brass sheet and brass angles in two different sizes. 

The grid

And a quick look at how the diamond pattern might look next to the brass angle that will form the edge.
In addition to this I have a number of brass, plastic and pewter model railroad parts to start detailing the Sledgehammer itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment