Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Sledgehammer Project; Preparation Pt IV - Crew Comparison

As the diorama concept comes together for the Sledgehammer, my thoughts have turned to the crew. I know that I will need to do quite a bit of modification on some of them, especially the ones from the infantry squads, to fit them in. I decided that a comparison between the Reaper Bones crew and the Victoria Miniatures Resin crew was in order. 

A couple of things really stood out here. The Bones plastic crew has nearly the same sharpness of detail as the Resin crew. I was certainly not expecting that and my original thoughts were to have the Bones crew in supporting positions. Since the level of detail is nearly the same I don't need to be nearly as concerned as I was prepared to be. That being said it is a lot easier to modify and convert the Bones crew so any modifications I need between these will definitely be worked on them. At this point I'm wishing that the old Reaper Boneyard existed for the Bones miniatures, I would likely get another whole set of them just for conversions.

The other detail that stands out is that almost all the Bones crew are taller than the Resin crew. That will help differentiate between the miniatures with a little less effort. Which is something else I was already thinking about when I made the order. A set of male and female militia heads to swap out with the squad heads to add more visual interest. Hopefully it will all come together, I can see the scene in my head, its the translation that is difficult.


The resin artillery crew from Victoria Miniatures. They are in the same poses as the Bones artillery crew from Reaper. Unfortunately it looks like I'm missing a hand for the gentleman on the far right in the photo.


The gentleman on the left is slight different with his right hand cast separately. He is a single casting in Bones.


There is quite a difference in height between these two.

These pair is much closer in height but will be on opposite sides of the gun so it won't be a problem

These two are also pretty close in height, but I'm likely to only use one of them unmodified.

I didn't line this one up quite right, the man on the right is actually significantly taller than his compatriot.

It was hard to line this pair up, I think the Bones version is still a bit taller.

And here we actually see the resin officer is taller than the Bones officer.

6 comments:

  1. Bones figures are great for modification, I would say that other than price, it is their best feature!

    Those bubble holes in the overcoat are pretty egregious on two of the first figures. Fortunately not hard to correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll see if I can talk Reaper out of a few more crew. Not only are those bubble holes large but the hand for the guy on the right is missing. I have sent an email to Victoria Miniatures this morning about it.

      Delete
    2. I think there are several of those figures that people would want to buy separately if they were available.

      Delete
    3. I think you are right. Shouldn’t be hard they should have their own mold for the crew.

      Delete
    4. Reaper's Scifi lines are... inconsistent. They have said that they do not sell well, but maybe they do not sell well because they are inconsistent? Chicken and the egg position.

      And while I am thinking about it, man I would love if the boneyard came back. My wallet would not though!

      Delete
    5. The sci-fi is inconsistent because they don’t have a sculptor that really wants to dig into it. They don’t mind doing the one off, but a whole line or series just doesn’t seem to be of interest. Their best bet for it was Keith Patrick and he went off on his own to form Bombshell.

      I would be in big trouble if the boneyard came back too!

      Delete