Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Kickstarter Loot - Armies & Legions & Hordes

One of my kickstarters delivered over the weekend; Armies, Legions and Hordes by Dave Taylor or Dave Taylor Miniatures. This kickstarter did very well and it went far enough that it came with a slipcase cover for the book. I nice edition. This is 171 page hardcover that covers a variety of army projects along with chapters on inspiration, planning, aims and expectations. Its full of great photographs on nice paper with at least what appears to be a very solid binding. Bindings on some of my kickstarter books have been less than stellar over the years.

I have to admit though that I was initially disappointed with the book. I was expecting more of "how to paint these armies" than what initially appeared to be just a bunch of army photographs. I took a little time though and actually read what the book and that is the key here, this book needs to be read and absorbed there is a lot of great information here and while it may not be focused on the how to paint it is focused on how to plan and execute building and painting an army. While the primary focus is how GW 40K armies there are a variety of other projects included as well, my favorite being the British Napoleonic army. This book is going to help you get those armies painted. Its written from the understanding that you know how to paint already, Taylor is not forcing his style of painting on you, just guiding you through getting started and getting finished.

If you paint armies, and most of my readers do, then I think this is a good book to have handy especially if you are contemplating starting yet another new army project. I don't know if this book will actually see the light of day in game store, many kickstarter books don't, but I would grab it if you see it or borrow one if the opportunity presents itself.

Nice slip cover, a little plain but certainly functionality



No comments:

Post a Comment