Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Sledgehammer Project; Build, Pt XXII - Sledgehammer Build

I put a little more work in on the Sledgehammer itself. As I started to plan my way around the extra bits that I wanted to add I realized that I really needed to get the walkways done first so I could plan around the space they would occupy. The Plastruct diamond tread pattern, that I initially purchased, was to large so I exchanged that for something a little smaller.

I started by cutting the diamond tread, reach immediately lead to my first problem of the day. Normally I just score and snap plastic sheet, usually works even on thicker material like this. What I didn't realize is that the tread sheet was actually two pieces melded together and the side with the tread is a bit brittle which resulted in a weird angled fracture rather than a nice clean break. Fortunately there was enough extra material to allow me a second chance. I decided that it would be better to use the razor saw and saw through the material rather than take another chance at snapping and scoring.

I think the end result turned out pretty well, I need a little filler on the corners to fill gaps but that's about it.


Cut the width first across the entire piece of tread pattern

After trying to snap it. Of course the nasty ragged edge is right on the tread pattern.

When in doubt use the right tool

The thickness is about right, now I just have to figure out how to remove the supports and transfer them to the new deck.

Brass edging cut and ready to go.

Top edges cut at a 45 degree angle (approximately).

A quick test fit which was followed up with some trimming

Not perfect, but with a little filler at those corners it will work out just fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment