Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, December 5, 2019

Kickstarter Rewards - War & Empire III - Forged in Battle

I received the kickstarter rewards from Forged in Battle (Westwind productions) yesterday. I have been eagerly anticipating this one for sometime. Since the production of the rulebook had fallen behind they opted to go ahead and send out the miniatures and would follow up with the book later.

I had opted for two starter armies rather than trying to mix and match packages with an unknown rule system and hope the Forged in Battle know what they are doing with the starters. I received the Norman army and the "Viking" army. Viking is in quotes here because I suspect that what I actually received is the Saxon starter army as all of the packs are marked either SG or SX. Since my four extra Viking packs are marked VK I figured something was off.

So that email is on the way, so far I'm not doing well with orders from the UK lately! However, everything else looks great. The miniatures are clean and fresh and just crying out to be painted. Of course we know how that goes in my house, they might be crying for sometime. I have vowed no miniature painting until Chester is finished, he remains my top priority.

Along with the Viking army I had to get a a couple of Viking longships to transport them. Both castings are quite clean and the metal miniatures (oars and upper torsos) look great. My only beef is that the ship hulls were cast with the shields mounted on the side which looks good but near as I can tell from the historical record is not how the shields would have been carried on board, its more for show and would have probably only been done in quiet waters for parades and funerals, not for going into battle. They still look great, some tiny casting flaws which are not unexpected in something like this. Certainly one of the better Viking longships out there right now, especially in 15mm.

Now that's a box full of stuff!

Shield transfers because I just couldn't bear the thought of painting all those shield designs by hand.

The extra Viking packs which provided the first clue that something might be amiss,

The Norman starter army with an extra NR3

The "Viking" Starter Army, all those SX notations make me think that this is more likely the Saxon Starter Army.

A beautiful Viking Longship, one of two.



No comments:

Post a Comment