Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Friday, December 6, 2019

Review - Setting the Scene Vol 2 The Mediterranean

You will have to excuse the pictures I apparently deleted the good pictures, so these are just place holders till I can retake them.


With banged up copy in hand I sat down and read Pat's newest book; "Setting the Scene Vol 2 Creating a Wargames Layout for the Mediterranean". That's a long title and its a big book 148 pages packed full of text and to explain that text a ton of pictures. I'm sure there are plenty of reviews out there at this point but figured I would put in my 2 cents worth as well.

The nature of the beast says that there is going to be some duplication between Pat's book on winter scenes and this new one on the Mediterranean. The biggest difference between the two books is Vol 1 is focused on a season, winter, while Vol 2 is focused on a region. I think the regional focus allows some better in depth looks at the terrain types than Vol 1 does. On top of that while the focus of Vol 1 is strictly WWII, although it certainly is not a stretch to apply it to other periods, Vol 2 focus on two timer periods; WWII and Napoleonics. While the bulk of the information applies to both periods, there are areas on how to make things compatible with both periods. So instead of needing to build two identical pieces of terrain one with a bunker and one with a blockhouse you can do it with one piece of terrain and a little forward thinking.

Pat starts off with creating a mat, but with some significant improvements which I certainly appreciate! Better material suggestions along recommendations on applying the caulk and how much. Good stuff. One note that I would make is while Pat is a firm believer in PVA glue (Elmer's white glue in the US) you could replace it with Matt Medium, especially when applying flock. In the long run I suspect that the glue will hold up better depending on how often you unroll and roll up your mat.

He goes over creating his flexible roads again, but again there are improvements to the process make it worth reading through and not skipping. Making up those mountains is all new information. Pat makes references to other websites and videos for alternative ways to create those cliff faces. I'm not a big fan of using bark so those nods to other methods and where to find them are much appreciated. Since model railroading is my other time intensive hobby I already have a store of rock molds to use for my cliff faces (assuming I actually get to the point where I need them). I can already imagine games of Sharpe's Practice taking place around the bridge to the Monastery.

There are chapters on bridges, buildings and destroyed buildings all of which add to the methods you can use to create them rather than just repeating information from Vol 1. Completely new to this book is a chapter on painting for gaming as well as a guest chapter if you want to level up your painting skills. Vol 2 is an excellent companion book to Vol 1 so don't hesitate to pick this book up now or at least get it on your Christmas list!

Oh and in regards to my banged up book, Steve said that he would send a replacement for it. Which he certainly didn't have to do. I'm feeling quite special about this book with the first one being stolen right out of the package and the second looking like it had been through a war. Steven mentioned that in the 500 books he has shipped this way mine was the first one that had truly been beaten up so badly. Prior to this he only had a couple with minor spine damage.








No comments:

Post a Comment