Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Memorial Day Weekend Acquisitions from the most dangerous bookstore in the Denver area.

The week leading up to Memorial Day weekend is full of family birthdays, four between the 15th and the 31st. That means that I had some money burning a hole in my pocket and a Monday off. So I checked the hours for the Aberdeen Bookstore and discovered that the store was actually open on my day off.

The Aberdeen Bookstore specializes in Military books of all kinds both new and used and occupies a re-purposed two story office building (I think, its definitely an odd little building). The first floor is mostly new books, all military primarily WWII, and the second floor is used books of all kinds but probably 90% history. I have never walked out of this ship without a very flat wallet but with armload of fantastic books. 

Aberdeen has the strangest hours, only open four days a week and only for about 4 hours at crack. Apparently his mail order business is nothing short of incredible and he ships world wide. Don't let the website fool you either, while its primarily focused on WWII German books a little creative searching will reveal just how extensive the selection is for other nationalities as well. I would say its certainly due for a major overhaul though. Here is the website: http://aberdeenbookstore.com . He won't ship to residents of Colorado though due to a rather strange tax law:

"I would need to collect sales tax from your city in Colorado and also purchase a sales tax license to that city. The cost and paperwork and time to comply is unreasonable and until common sense prevails I need to take this step."

I guess I'll just deal with making special trips around his hours.

Here are my purchases from yesterday (which doesn't include the ones my wife bought):

Its been a while since I acquired a new PzKfw III book, but now I have the one from the Tankograd series. I haven't been looking to hard but I knew this one was out there.

And from the folks at Panzer Tracts the Karl-Geraet. I picked up this one because I know that Rubicon Models has a resin version coming out, hopefully this year, and I want to be ready to build it. Probably should try and make a bigger dent into the kits I already have.

Since I started building some Pz IIIs for North Africa I figured some new pictures might help stir the creative juices for adding some additional details.

I have been slowly accumulating books and information on the Waffen-SS 6th Gebirgs Division. I would like to create a CoC campaign around this unit's time in Finland and as part of operation Nordwind. I'm not a fan of the Waffen-SS and this is the only SS unit I would consider building.

This one for more background information for the Finns and their relationship with their German "Allies".

Oddly enough another SS book, this one about the 5th "Wiking" SS Panzer Division. This one caught my eye a couple of years ago after it had gone out of print and was commanding outrageously high prices for used copies. This is the new 2nd edition and the pictures are fabulous and the price, while expensive, is considerably less than what they were selling for on the second hand market.



No comments:

Post a Comment