Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Friday, November 2, 2018

Sledgehammer Project; Preparation Pt IX - Thinking it Through

I often tend to dive straight into a project like this but since my goal is a competition worthy model and diorama its going to take more thoughtful planning than usual (the only other place I tend towards thoughtful planing are model railroad layouts). While the gathering of interesting components has been both interesting and frustrating its time to bear down and see what I really need in both parts and what will have to be scratch built (basically anything involving gears, cranks and wheels at this point). With that thought in mind I have scoured the web and have found quite the plethora of photos out there. A few are vintage WWII images but a good chunk of them are reasonable closeups of the actual gun as it sits in various museums from the US to the USSR. There is also a number of model build ups that I have found of the 1/35th scale Trumpeter kit. That has intrigued me and I have even contemplated building that as well, but that might be a hard sell with the wife right now.

I think the best picture is the one I acquired on eBay. As an action shot it really gives me a nice concept of how the diorama will look.

Here are some of the reference photos that I have managed to find. I tried to identify photographers but the only one I could really identify is the photographer of the series that came from Aberdeen here in the US.

Starting with the vintage WWII, a number of these are pretty close to being action shots, but some are definitely "staged" a bit.


The printed copy that I acquired on eBay. Interesting features include the cleated ramp that covers most of the area between the trails. A feature that is not seen on any of the museum pieces that I have found.








Look at how shiny the breech and inside of the breech block are. A huge contrast to the surrounding surfaces. I'm curious to find out why this area isn't discolored from use. I do know that the 203mm shell doesn't have a shell casing, the powder charge is separate and can consist of 1-6 "charges". Since everything is either fired or consumed by the blast maybe that's why its such a bright silver.

Of the other pictures the best ones are really of the piece at Aberdeen. These were taken by Matthew Flegal and I found them at: svsm.org/gallery/203mm_B-4_aberdeen








I think I'm going to need some Plastruct packs!


No comments:

Post a Comment