Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, May 13, 2019

Clue - The Legend of Zelda

I know, how many copies of Clue can one person own? Well, I have room for more so the world may never know. My kids think that they are the video generation but really I'm part of the first video generation and the Legend of Zelda first appeared on the original Nintendo. While my family didn't own a Nintendo (we were an Atari family) I certainly spent plenty of time on my friends' machines! So combining the Legend of Zelda and Clue is like finding the Holy Grail!

So that brings us to Clue; The Legend of Zelda. As with any Clue game (well most of them) this can be played just as a straight up Classic Clue game. This one falls into what I will refer to as Clue Variant II. In Variant II each of the players' has a power than can be used once per game, in addition if a player lands on a question mark square, rolls a question mark on the die, or are moved to a location to be questioned then you may draw an encounter card (called Boss Cards in Zelda). Follow the directions on the card. As part of that deck there are eight Ganondorf cards. The first seven are harmless but if you draw the eighth Ganondorf card you are out of the game and the eight Ganondorf cards are shuffled back into the deck (this is variation from other Clue games featuring the encounter cards where the game just ends when the eighth card is drawn).

I was pretty excited about this one and I'm looking forward to giving it a go. The only thing that I was disappointed with is that the card deck seems a little flimsy. I should also start cataloging the rule variations just to see which versions fall into Classic, Variant I and Variant II.



Rules, Boss Deck and the Character Cards. I find all the cards to be a bit on the flimsy side.

I didn't think it was possible to make the pad any smaller but someone figured out a way. This game comes with my least favorite style of pawns, clear plastic covers and cardboard avatars to go in them. I have ripped a few of these in the past, I suggest cutting carefully with scissors rather than trying to tear them apart on the perforations. The dice also have the "1" replaced with a question mark.


The character power cards. Usable once per game.

"Rooms"

Characters and Weapons

The Boss Deck

And the board. I love the graphics on the board.


2 comments:

  1. That's really neat Kris! I had no idea Zelda was made into a Clue game. I'm right there with you on the Nintendo generation - I actually got sucked into watching a YouTube video recently of a guy going through the first Zelda game, lots of great memories there :) though he made it look way easier than I remember lol!

    ReplyDelete