Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

New Tool - Neje Master 2s Laser Engraver/Cutter

I have been debating over three new tools for about a year now; CNC machine, 3D printer or a Laser Cutter/Engraver. After some pretty serious evaluation (at least for me) I decided that the Laser Cutter/Engraver was going to be the most useful from a modeling standpoint.

Neje just released a 30w laser for their Master 2s machine which put it over the top for me. These small units are really meant for engraving but the higher powered laser (although its not 30 watts of laser output by the way) will make it reasonable to cut the thinner stock that I typically work with especially the PVC foamed core material and 3mm plywood.

All I have done at this point is unbox it and put it together. I need to find some time to get the software downloaded and the firmware updated before I can put it through its paces. But I'm certainly looking forward to "firing"it up!

It certainly came well packaged

The "instruction" book. It you can put it together but that's about it. Fortunately it includes the link to the website in the form of a QR code inside.

While it looks like a mess here, you really only have to attach the laser arm to the base and the laser to the laser arm.

All assembled and ready for some power


4 comments:

  1. Very exciting! What sort of projects do you have planned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm mostly looking at doing windows and doors for buildings and maybe some smaller buildings for Calamity. I have a couple of engraving projects in mind as well that will need some experimenting to get right I suspect. Looking forward to learning how to get the most out of this!

      Delete
    2. Sounds exciting!

      You could probably also do things like panel lines and wood grain, brick patterns, scifi stuff... sheets of shingles etc.

      Delete
    3. Absolutely! I have been thinking about all kinds of things I can do with it. I won't ever need to buy bases again, that's for sure.

      Delete