Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, March 6, 2023

A Brick Building from the Ground Up - Part 3

More progress on the building and miniatures are staring at me accusingly. I have made a start on the skin tones and picking out anything I missed. Not enough to show you at this point and, of course, I have a couple of other projects in the wood shop going on that are sucking up time. There has been on going research on the first building that I hope to make drawings of for the D&RGW switching layout.

On the ITLA buildings I figured out that I need to cut out the sills first, then install the window or door from so that its flush with the back (inside) side of the building. I was definitely happy that I painted everything before I started assembly on this one, especially that brick work. You might notice that I have repainted two of the bricked up windows with a "blonde" brick color. This color of brick is pretty common in the Denver area. The Morey Mercantile building which will anchor the left side of the layout is built from this brick, at least on the visible sides.

One of the things that I have picked out for these buildings is that just about any face that has a main entrance will be built from bricks that match in color, you won't find visibly darker or lighter colored brick on these faces. The other sides will feature bricks in multiple colors. The color pictures of the south side of the Spratlen-Anderson building really show this off to good effect. That adds another interesting element to most of the buildings that I hope to be modeling.


Everything laid out with the doors and windows in place.

Getting out the clamps and gluing the sides together. One set of my corner clamps is bad so I had to pull out 1-2-3 blocks.

And with a set of clamps missing I had to resort to gluing the remaining corners together one at a time.


Front side

Right side, the windows are towards the front side of the building. I'm thinking this would be a good side for a fire escape.

The back side with the bricked up windows.

Left side, again the windows are towards the front of the building. I'm thinking its a good side for some exterior details of some type.


The next step is to glue the brick "pillars" on the corners and in the middle of each side wall. Hopefully that will soften the contrast between the two side panels.

No comments:

Post a Comment