Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, May 8, 2023

The Sci Fi Pulp Diorama - Interior Continued - The Hull

Over the weekend the Sintra (foamed PVC) arrived, 1mm, 2mm and 3mm sheets. I was hoping that the 1mm would be flexible enough to conform to the curve of the "girders". It was immediately apparent that it wasn't. I'm sure I will find some other use for it though. I started sifting through the bins again and I came across some Plastruct brand .3mm sheet. This is really thin, I can see my fingers through it! But it will conform pretty easily to the curve.

I have kind of blocked things out and I have made some lines to indicate where I will need to cut the windows out. This will entail adding some thickness around the windows to make it appear that the hull is relative thick plus I need to sandwich some clear plastic in there. I don't think it will be much of a problem.

I'm still debating the idea of mirrors on either end to give the illusion of a much bigger ship.

I used 1-2-3 blocks to hold the basic structure in place (there are two in the back as well) and some clamps to see how well the .3mm sheet would work.
Little better shot with the alien, more or less, in place.


I turned on the light, to sort of, represent the LED light that would be on that side. As you can see this sheeting is really thin and you can see my hand as I press the sheeting down more firmly against the center girders.

I tried experimenting with regular Testors Model Master  Liquid Cement. While it held the two big bulkheads together it totally failed when trying to glue the lighter girders to the floor. I need to get some Plastruct  Plastic Weld, which I know works very well. The other option would be PVC cement, which is just hard to work with because of the way its packaged.


No comments:

Post a Comment